Thursday, July 27, 2006

Volleyball

I can't play it. I love it, can't play it.

I never played in grade school or high school. I was too involved with running, basketball, cheerleading, softball, band, choir, drama, art fair, science fair, and forensics so I had to give something up. I couldn't get a serve over the net so volleyball got dumped. I still loved watching it and I went to as many games as possible.

So I meet my husband and volleyball is one of his passions. He plays indoor and beach. I decide that I want to learn how to play again. My plate isn't full like it was in school so what the heck? I really love to watch the game. I search for the AVP Pro Beach Volleyball tournaments on TV every weekend. I love watching Misty May and Kerri Walsh. They are amazing women athletes and they make the game look so easy.

My patient husband teaches me the fundamentals again and works with me when we have time. After he is done playing on the beach he'll work with me and my skills. We decide to play indoor with our church league this past winter. That went ok. Not too competitive but enough for me to get use to a game situation again. We are asked to play in the summer league and I got very excited because I felt my skills were getting better and I love playing in the sand.

Last night was humiliating. I couldn't set the ball to save my life. My poor husband was all over trying to hit the ball. I couldn't pass and I couldn't hit. I knew what I was doing wrong but I couldn't correct it. I was so frustrated and I'm sure that made it worse. I left last night never wanting to play again. But my husband reminded me, "that is just sports." This is true. But in running I didn't have to work so hard. Yes, I would have to run 60 miles a week, but that came easy to me. Sure, running repeat miles under race pace in the heat is hard, but again, it was easy to me. I guess that is why I'm so frustrated. I want it to be as easy as running. I have to understand that I can't perfect something overnight.

Speaking of volleyball. There is an AVP tournament down at Bradford Beach this weekend. The Bradford Beach Jam starts at 8:00 a.m. and will end with a concert on the Beach by King Solomon at 7:00 p.m.

No comments: