Sunday, July 16, 2006

Bastille Days

Bastille Days will end tonight. My husband and I ventured down there Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. Overall we had a great time except for Saturday.....

Thursday was the run. I reported on that already. We had fun that night. Ran into a lot of our thirtysomething year old friends.

Friday we ended up spending the night with Stormin Sasha and her best friend J. We found the deals on beer ($3.50 for one, $2.50 refills). We had fun. It was nice to be outside, drinking cheap beer and catching up with a great friend.

Now Saturday got a little scary. My parents met us at our condo for some wine and then we walked down to Bastille Days together. They left and we met up with some friends to watch the fire show. It was about 10 pm and My husband whispered in my ear, "I don't have a good feeling about tonight. We should get out of here soon." The crowd got to be sketchy and was not a typical downtown Milwaukee crowd. Fights were starting and tensions were rising. We did end up leaving after someone lit off fireworks in a crowd. Next morning headlines, "Two people killed at downtown club."
Great.
Now this might not have had anything to do with Bastille Days. But we knew things were not right.
We should not have to worry about these kind of episodes. The shooting was at club that was already under violation of their license. Why were they still open? Why weren't the police there at closing?
These are just some questions that I have for our city leaders and I will be writing a letter with more. Very disturbing.

No comments: