Tuesday, August 08, 2006

To tri or not to tri

That is the question.

My running is stale. I have been running for over 20 years. Grade school, high school, college and after college (whatever you call that). I have always set goals, achieved them, set higher goals and achieved those. I'm in a rut. I have no goals right now, no race ahead of me. It's that time of year where road racing is winding down and marathon season is picking up. I'm not/can't train for a marathon this fall, what's next? I could go run some collegiate cross country races and get my butt kicked by some 20 year old kids..... nah.

I've always wanted to try a triathlon. The Ironman has always fascinated me. I know that right now that is not a reasonable goal and I need to start small. So I think I am going to spend this fall and winter training for one. A "sprint" triathlon is a good start. I having the running down so I'll really need to work on my swim and bike. It will take a lot of time and dedication.

It is times like these that I can't imagine having kids. How do you train? I know there are women out there who have kids and accomplish such goals. How do they find the time? As much as I want to have children it is times like these that I don't. It takes a lot of time and dedication to do a triathlon. If I get pregnant, I will most likely have to stop my intense training. Then after the child is born, when do I have the time to actually start up again. Am I being selfish? So having children means I have to give up my goals and life? Or does your outlook on life really change once you have kids? Are there mothers out there who really miss their freedom and being able to do whatever they want? These are questions I have about motherhood.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Definitely go for it! Once I finish this stupid marathon training, I'm setting my sights on a triathlon. As for the kids thing, I have no idea. But I know that people manage to make it work. Every day. You'll figure it all out! Good luck to you!

Amanda said...

Hi! I found you via Play in the City, and I wanted to make a quick comment on doing a triathlon. I finished my first tri in July, and although it was a grueling and difficult experience, it was also one of the best of my life. There really is nothing like doing a triathlon. So, go for it! I'll look forward to hearing about your training.